Re: System hangs at boot

> --- Luis R Finotti <finotti@math.ohio-state.edu>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Leo Britto wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone,
>>>
>>>I have a Debian Sarge 2.6.8 running on my laptop
>>
>>and I
>>
>>>finally got my wireless adapter to work. But when

>>>reboot it I just cant go pass the jabberd startup.
>>>Earlier it was "hanging" on the MTA startup so I
>>>apt-get remove exim4-base and got rid of it just

>>>find out that the problem is after it.
>>
>>Just an idea: if your wireless card is configure on
>>start up, it might
>>expect an internet connection.  If you don't have
>>connection (or if your
>>router is on, but not connect to the internet), the
>>system will not find
>>a DNS server.  At least for me, this makes the
>>computer hang during the
>>MTA start up (any problem with DNS does), but it
>>does continue after a
>>little while (or not so little -- two minutes,
>>maybe).  It seems to me
>>that that might be the problem.  Maybe you could try
>>to make sure you
>>have connection, disable connection on boot, or wait
>>and see if the
>>start up continues after a little while.
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>Luis

Hi,

Leo Britto wrote:
Can I ask how I disable the ndiwsrapper from being
loaded at boot time?

I'm not sure, since I've never used it. You can check if there is any file in /etc/init.d/ related to it. If there is, you can use update-rc.d to remove it. (Check the man page.)

I dont know but I think this
might be the reason. I can boot in single user mode
and when I issue a init 2 my system hangs when it gets
to the services. I tried to disable the services but
it still hangs. I have no idea what can be the cause
of this but the only change I made was the introuction
of the correct wireless driver to ndiswrapper. Maybe
if I can disable it I can get back to boot. What is
odd is if i boot in single user mode I can load the
ndis driver and use it i/o problems. I even removed
exim4 from my system and it still doesnt work.

I'm not sure removing exim4 is a good idea. It's part of the base system and used to deliver local error messages... (But I am not sure it's really that bad.)

So, is ndiwsrapper a module? If so, check /etc/modules. You can try to comment it out.

I also tried the other suggestion to let it hanged for
a while. I waited for 5 minutes and nothing.

I also tried to boot it many times w/o hope.

Hmm... Did you look at /etc/network/interfaces? If, say eth1 is your wireless card, is there a "auto eth1" in it? If so, you can try to remove it, but I am not sure that that will help anymore...

Have any suggestions?

That's all I have for now. (I'm *really* not a guru...) :-)

HTH,

Luis