Re: Am I being attacked? Domain name and DNS server problem

Robert MannI wrote:
Hello!

This is most likely the wrong list, but I can't find a linux security
list and this is a little bit urgent! Maybe someone off this list can
give me some pointers.

My client has a domain. When I ping the domain, it resolves to the IP
address of the dedicated server he is hosting on.

But then, when I try to resolve the ip address back to a domain, using either
"host xx.xx.xx.xx" on mac os x, or
"/usr/bin/resolveip xx.xx.xx.xx" on linux,
the ip address is resolved to a domain name that is a little bit suspicious:

ns2.decayandcorrupt.com

Is this an attack? Resolving an ip address to a hostname shouldn't
return a nameserver, should it?

Sounds more like just a screw-up.

Forward and reverse zones are not related, and are stored in different files on the DNS servers. Zone delegations have to be done correctly to allow whoever controls the IP to do DNS for it.

If it's an attack, there doesn't seem to be much sense in it. Annoying, yes... but I can't think of a whole lot of attack vectors that would be able to make use of a bad reverse-DNS entry like that.

Nate