Re: ndiswrapper for the best distro?

Florian Kulzer wrote:

> Doofus wrote:
>
>> I intended to give this a try to see if I can get a Netgear WG511v2
>> wireless LAN PC Card working.
>>
>> After downloading the small tar ball
>> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper) I noticed a top level
>> "debian" directory. Highly promising you might think, but unless I'm
>> missing something obvious (certainly a possibility) there's not one jot
>> of information on the specifics of this directory or how to use it with
>> (or in lieu of) the usual build instructions, either in the notes
>> included with the tarball, or anywhere on the sourceforge site. Pretty
>> poor really, I think.
>>
>> They also say they have a ready to go .deb, but the link returns a 404
>> file not found. Pretty poor really, I think.
>>
>> I realise I have no right to expect superlative code from well meaning
>> folks who do this development for the love of it, but as an advocate of
>> "if a job's worth doing it's worth doing properly", I'm wondering if I
>> shouldn't ditch the whole idea and buy a natively supported card. On the
>> other hand, someone here whith more nous than me may understand what's
>> what here and help me out?
>

> What is your reason for not using the ndiswrapper Debian packages?
> Compiled modules are available for the relevant flavors of the current
> Sarge kernel. For Sid and Etch the packages "ndiswrapper-source" and
> "ndiswrapper-utils" are provided for convenient compilation and usage.

...because sometimes I'm a bit stupid (like I said, it was always
possible I was missing something obvious).

In this case it hadn't occured to me for a second that something as
impure as a wrapper for a windows device driver would be found in the
debian package repository so I didn't even look. I'll be more
open-minded in future.

Having said that, my original whinge still stands. Ideally I'd always go
for the latest version of any drivers, but the absence of any decent
documentation at the project web site doesn't really allow for this - at
least not for a typical end user like me.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply though Florian. I'm almost up
and running with the debian release packages.