ndiswrapper for the best distro?

I intended to give this a try to see if I can get a Netgear WG511v2
wireless LAN PC Card working.

After downloading the small tar ball
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper) I noticed a top level
"debian" directory. Highly promising you might think, but unless I'm
missing something obvious (certainly a possibility) there's not one jot
of information on the specifics of this directory or how to use it with
(or in lieu of) the usual build instructions, either in the notes
included with the tarball, or anywhere on the sourceforge site. Pretty
poor really, I think.

They also say they have a ready to go .deb, but the link returns a 404
file not found. Pretty poor really, I think.

I realise I have no right to expect superlative code from well meaning
folks who do this development for the love of it, but as an advocate of
"if a job's worth doing it's worth doing properly", I'm wondering if I
shouldn't ditch the whole idea and buy a natively supported card. On the
other hand, someone here whith more nous than me may understand what's
what here and help me out?