Re: Poster to this lists email address not obfuscated? If so it makes this list a heaven for spam bots...:-(

Kelly Clowers wrote:

3) But since gmail's conversation view is not very convenient to read a
high volume mailing list such as d-u, pop the emails into your favorite
client such as thunderbird

Just out of curiosity, what do you find inconvenient about gmail's interface?
For me, gmail is the best interface I have found for reading d-u.
For starters, it encourages the use of top posting by placing the cursor at the begining of the message instead of placing the cursor at the end of the message - like thunderbird does. Ideally they can give an option for the user to choose where to place the cursor.

For details on how top posting could be bad, see question 5 on

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

Secondly, it hides the quoted text making it harder to follow the context.

Thirdly, it also hides the email addresses from which I receive the email. I always have to click on "More options" to see brief headers. For some reason I like to see the email addresses (brief headers) from which I receive email.

It does not have a reply to list feature, like mutt has. BTW, thunderbird also does not have the reply to list feature in case you are wondering.

If the thread contains one or two emails, then it is fine to read them with the conversation view. But when there are something like 20 messages in the same thread, I am better off with tree view. Gmail does not let users choose between conversation view and tree view. They force users to use conversational view. I dont like it when someone forces their choices on me.

I just happen to not like the conversation view. That is purely a personal opinion and nothing more.

raju

--
http://kamaraju.googlepages.com/cornell-bazaar
http://groups.google.com/group/cornell-bazaar/about