Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Wow, and my WDC HD is also connected through a two port SATA RAID PCI adapter...only difference is that it's 133...I see lots of similarities between our setups here...so obviously there's something about this setup that Debians bootloader setup doesn't like...:-(...lemme know please if trying lilo 1: 22.6.1-7+b1 from Sid and backporting to Sarge works, thanks! :-)

On 3/18/06, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com > wrote:
Hex Star wrote:
> I'd like to report that I believe I have the same or at least, very
> similar model HD as this person and am experiencing the exact same
> symptoms with LILO (999s all over the screen), and despite many
> suggestions from irc.debian.org <http://irc.debian.org> #debian, GRUB
> doesn't work either as when booting it halts with a error 17, which
> despite the configuration seeming fine still happens (and according to
> the grub manual that error means grub is halting because it is trying to
> mount an existant partition but the partition is formatted in a way grub
> doesn't know how to handle properly) seems like there's an issue with
> Debian and this drive...:-(..was attemtping this all with Debian Sarge
> (suggestions were things like, try running the grub installer from
> knoppix, try changing the root (hd..) entry in the menu.lst file, etc
> but no dice :-( ...even tried repartitioning and reinstalling both grub
> and lilo numerous times (and for lilo, tried both from mbr and from a
> partition numerous times but no go either way) and still no go)...also
> neither the default 2.4.... installer kernel or the newer 2.6 one seems
> to have megaraid included which I think should be included in order to
> allow debian to be installed on hp netserver systems whose HD setup
> takes advantage of the embedded HP NetRAID controller (like my HP
> NetServer LH3R does but I can't install Debian because it doesn't seem
> to have the megaraid controller...:-( )

Thanks. To summarize:
This is an EPOX EP-8VTAI mobo with 2 80GB PATA drives and 1 WDC WD800
JD-60LU 80GB SATA drive that is connected *not* to the mobo but to an
SATA150 RAID 2 port PCI Host Adapter, as only drive, not using raid.

Reason for this setup: Power up hangs in POST with the drive connected
directly to the mobo.

The drive works fine in Knoppix 4.0.2: can be written to, partitioned, etc.

With the Sarge 3.1r1 d-i in either grub or lilo the boot of the new
partition on a PATA drive fails with 99999's on the screen.

As with the latest Etch beta 2 installer, either grub or lilo.

As with a lilo that is run under Knoppix on a PATA drive.