Re: hacked server

No not as a mirror.

No not as raid.

Just online/available but not in $PATH, not booted from.
BIOS boots from typically CDROM first, IDE0 primary second.
If your drive is on IDE1 (or SATA1), BIOS shouldn't load
it's boot sector, and Linux shouldn't mount it or run
anything off it unless you tell it to (DON'T).

Heck, to feel safe, if and when you mount it, mount it with
-o noexec, which keeps any binaries from being executed.  Of
course this may be a no-op right now- the manpage says "This
trick fails since Linux 2.4.25 / 2.6.0".

According to Jon  Miller,