Re: right click not working on gtk SOLVED

On 3/17/06, Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
Roberto Winter wrote:

> On 3/17/06, *Roberto C. Sanchez* <roberto@familiasanchez.net
> <mailto: roberto@familiasanchez.net>> wrote:
>
>     Roberto Winter wrote:
>     >
>     >     > i am not sure which ones i had before.
>     >     > but i guess the whole thing started when i installed some
>     packages so
>     >     > that i could build gimp from cvs.
>     >     OK.  Why did you need to compile GIMP from cvs?
>     >
>     >
>     > does it really matter?!?
>     > it was because the debian package is ooooooooooold. and i am going to
>     > work seriously with graphics so i needed the latest version possible.
>     >
>     In fact it does matter.  If all you need is one newer application, you
>     don't need to run the whole unstable distro.
>

> i run the unstable distro because i want all apps to be as new as
> possible...

Fair enough.

>       Now, the 2.3.7 version
>     (not even six weeks old) is already in the archive.  If you really need
>     some feature that is only available from CVS in the last six weeks, you
>     may want to consider reading my package customization HOWTO:
>
>     http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize
>     < http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize>
>

> i don't want to create debs, just build from cvs.
> anyway I really doubt that building gimp from cvs has broken my gtk. the
Good point.

> thing is:
> i installed some libs that hadn't been updated in a long while, this
> caused the right
> mouse button to stop working.

Did you upgrade *only* those libraries or did you do a dist-upgrade?

first i updated only those and then i did a dist-upgrade.

Which package manager are you using?

apt-get.

>     As far as the GTK problem, have you checked the bug reports to see if
>     anyone else has reported similar behavior.
>

> i searched google and didn't find anything. i guess it is probably a
> debian related thing.
>
>       Also, have you tried blowing
>     away all your ~/.gnome* and ~/.gtk* directories?  You will lose any
>     settings you have, so you may want to back them up.  But this will at
>     least tell you if you are dealing with a sofware bug or a configuration
>     issue.
>

> i did, didn't work

If you did a dist-upgrade and not just updated a few libraries, then you
may have a real bug on your hands.  Another thing I would test is to
create a brand new user and try logging in as the new user and see if
you still have the same problem.

yep. i did that.
i logged in as the new user using kde and the context menu worked!!!
then i used enlightenment (which i use now). it worked again!!!
now i came back to my user, after moving all .gtk and .gnome away.
the problem was still there :(
then i tried changing some settings... after a while i found out!!!

i had to disable enlightenment's composite manager so that the context menus came back to life!!!
now i'll go to the enlightenment-user list and tell them there is something wrong with their composite manager.

Also, have you checked to make sure your mouse did not start coming
loose from it's PS/2 or USB port?

no, that was ok.

>     > again, to anyone who haven't read it, please cc any replies to me
>     since
>     > i don't subscribe the list,
>

> thanks for all your time,
> roberto.

Happy to help.

thanks again for the help and ideas!!! couldn't have solved it on my own
roberto.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez