Re: Grub serial console question

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 11:56 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> Using Debian grub (unstable) where do I put the serial and terminal lines.
>
> The /boot/grub directory as installed by the current installer does not
> seem to have a /boot/grub/grub.conf file, nor a /etc/grub.conf.  The
> HOWTOs for serial console all suggest that this is the right place to put
> the lines:-
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
> terminal --timeout=10 serial console
>
> (or whatever speed you want).
>
> I therefore created such a file (/boot/grub/grub.conf) but it had no
> effect.
>
> Given the way that grub has been built for Debian unstable where
> should these lines be?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> David

some snippets from my /boot/grub/menu.lst:

## Setup the serial speed and unit
serial -unit=0 -speed=9600

##^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default optons below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro console=ttyS0,9600

also you probably want to span a getty off of the serial port, do that
through inittab, here is a snippet from my /etc/inittab

# Example how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100

good luck,

-matt zagrabelny