Re: Proposed change for subscriptions...

On Sunday 12 March 2006 12:42, Kent West wrote:
> A challenge-response would also be acceptable, provided I can specify
> what email to send the challenge to; wouldn't want the challenge to go
> to the customer's email from which I'm sending the post, etc.

Challenge-response is considered harmful.  Guaranteed to go to the wrong
person every time it receives spam.  Causes mail loops when someone with
challenge-response emails it.  Fundamentally breaks reliable transmission in
SMTP.  Requires registration to get your email through.  Causes mail servers
to get listed on RBLs.  Nobody in their right mind would consider
challenge-response and not expect to get listed as a spewing site and lose
all legitimate email in the process.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber