Re: dpkg, apt-get, aptitude, etc. don't work - "relocation error".

> Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
>
>> I cannot use dpkg, wajig, apt-get--I always get a
>> message:
>> "/usr/bin/perl: relocation error:
>> /lib/libpthread.so.0: symbol__libc_stack_end,
> version
>> GLIB_2.1 not defined in file ld-linux.so2 with link
>> time reference".
>>
>> I run "Linux version 2.4.27-2-586tsc" (Debian
>> testing).
>>
>> What is a newbie to do?
>> Thanks, Hearthstone.
>>

> It seems like either your installation of libc6 is
> broken, or your installed
> version of perl doesn't match your installed version
> of libc6.  How did
> your machine get broken like this?  That is, what's
> the last change you
> made before apt-get et. al. broke?
>
> Justin
>
> I cannot recall what I have done, but to my
knowledge
> it happened during one of the routine "aptitude
> dist-upgrade".
>

> Hearthstone:
> I would gladly reinstall, but I have to salvage some
> large files. Unfortunately no browsers work, nor
does
> gftp. Lynx does work, but http://beta.yousendit.com
> that I would use to upload my files doesn't work in
> lynx, perhaps due to the same "relocation error"
> problem (?).
> Could I fix some links? Which ones? How?
> Thanks, Hearthstone.

If you have a CD drive you can boot from, I'd
recommend getting a bootable
linux distribution, such as Knoppix, and using that to
transfer your
personal files.  If you don't have a CD drive, you
might be able to boot
from USB.  If not, you can boot from floppy, if you
have one of those.

In order to fix your system, I think you'll have to
use a chroot from a
known good system, or perhaps use a system like
Knoppix to manually fix the
problem, if the files are there.  One thing that may
make things easier is
to copy static binaries of the programs you need (for
example, perl) to
your system.  You only need enough to fix your glibc
problems, then the
shared library binaries you've already got can start
working again.  I'm
not sure if static binaries for testing are available.
 You may have to use
Knoppix to download the source and build it yourself.
Make sure you get
the proper version, though.

Hope that helps,
Justin

Hearthstone:
I cannot boot from CD-ROM (I have an old Toshiba
laptop), so I am right now looking for a suitable
floppy rescue. I started trying out Tom's rescue
floppy, but so far I have found out that I have to
learn about chroot, and any other commands I might
need.
I wish there would be a simpler way of rescuing my
files ...

I think that I should actually remove the HD and have
the files uploaded to a PC, and have them transfered
on a CD.

Thanks, Hearthstone.

Designing the Future of the Earth Co-operatively:
http://www.modelearth.org/modelearth-file.html