Re: distribution upgrade question

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:39:01AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>First thanks much for the steps for doing this upgrade.  So far as I
>can tell, it's not possible to rebuild gnome with all the accessibility
>bits included without first being on an unstable distro first.  Second
>the Xwindows interface once I get it talking may enable multimedia
>access conssole certainly didn't on the streaming media I tried it out
>it was just audio media and wouldn't work for lack of avisynth.dll
>which is what mplayer claimed it needed. Let's see if I can ask a more
>intelligent question which if it can be done might be a good Step 0 in
>this upgrade process.  Where is the list of installed packages kept on
>these systems, if I can store a list I can make a script out of it and
>more quickly return to where I was if a cd reinstall is necessary using
>that script to download the missing packages?  I think I can use sed to
>strip the version stuff off the end of the package names once I find
>that list or hope I can.

If I understand you correctly you want a list of the installed packages
on your Debian system, right?

Try

 % dpkg -l > packages.txt

You'll find a (long) list of packages in the file 'packages.txt' after
that.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
     -- Albert Einstein