Re: distribution upgrade question

First thanks much for the steps for doing this upgrade. So far as I can tell, it's not possible to rebuild gnome with all the accessibility bits included without first being on an unstable distro first. Second the Xwindows interface once I get it talking may enable multimedia access conssole certainly didn't on the streaming media I tried it out it was just audio media and wouldn't work for lack of avisynth.dll which is what mplayer claimed it needed. Let's see if I can ask a more intelligent question which if it can be done might be a good Step 0 in this upgrade process. Where is the list of installed packages kept on these systems, if I can store a list I can make a script out of it and more quickly return to where I was if a cd reinstall is necessary using that script to download the missing packages? I think I can use sed to strip the version stuff off the end of the package names once I find that list or hope I can.