Re: PCMCIA configuration in sarge

Andrei Popescu wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:09:07 +0000
>Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> wrote:
>

>>After my laptop is booted, I can get driver modules:
>>
>>    orinoco_cs
>>    orinoco
>>    hermes
>>
>>loaded just by typing `modprobe orinoco_cs`
>>

>>Now I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to get them loaded automatically at boot
>>time. If I put any or all of the modules in /etc/modules, I get an error
>>message in the boot process very close to:
>>
>>    ds: no socket driver!
>>

>>and then after boot is finished, ds.o is loaded but not my driver
>>modules. I'm guessing this is because the init scripts are trying to
>>load the contents of /etc/modules before ds.o is loaded, which won't
>>work? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>

>>Can someone explain what's happening here, and what the solution is get
>>everything loaded in the right order? I haven't found an answer in
>>/usr/share/doc/pcmcia_cs.
>>
>>kernel 2.4.27
>>dell inspiron 8200
>>

>>Many thanks for any assistance.
>>

>Just a wild thought ... did you try adding ds to /etc/modules? (before the others of course). That is if ds.o is also a module (AFAIK modules now have the extension .ko)
>
>Andrei

I should have thought of trying that in view of my description above.
It still doesn't work though. The exact error message is:

       ds: No socket drivers loaded!

but as I said the ds module does get loaded a bit later - probably by
the pcmcia scripts. I'm using the kernel pcmcia support and the yenta
socket driver, and Dave Hinds pcmcia_cs package.

There's obviously something not in place that's preventing the ds.o
module from being loaded early in the boot - don't know what it is
though. I guess I could just compile some of this stuff into the kernel
but I don't really want to do that.