PCMCIA configuration in sarge

After my laptop is booted, I can get driver modules:

    orinoco_cs
    orinoco
    hermes

loaded just by typing `modprobe orinoco_cs`

Now I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to get them loaded automatically at boot
time. If I put any or all of the modules in /etc/modules, I get an error
message in the boot process very close to:

    ds: no socket driver!

and then after boot is finished, ds.o is loaded but not my driver
modules. I'm guessing this is because the init scripts are trying to
load the contents of /etc/modules before ds.o is loaded, which won't
work? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can someone explain what's happening here, and what the solution is get
everything loaded in the right order? I haven't found an answer in
/usr/share/doc/pcmcia_cs.

kernel 2.4.27
dell inspiron 8200

Many thanks for any assistance.