Re: Can't reinstall missing init.d script

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > I would like to recover the /etc/init.d/checkfs.sh script that came
> > with it's package, which according to 'dpkg -S' is initscripts. I hid
> > the current checkfs.sh and ran
> >
> > apt-get --reinstall install initscripts
> >
> > seemingly successfully, but no new checkfs.sh was created.
> >
> > I also tried 'dpkg-reconfigure initscripts' but that didn't do anything.

You'd have to *purge* the initscript packages (which will *delete* all
configuration files, so back any changes you did to them first!) then
reinstall.

/etc files are not regular files, and they get treated differently. dpkg and
even an apt-get -­reinstall won't resurrect a deleted conffile (/etc file).

> Maybe you could extract the file from the .deb manually.

This is probably the best idea.

  Henrique Holschuh