Re: Newcomers to Debian downloading/ordering full CD-set

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:38:58 -0500
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

Andrei Popescu wrote:

A quick peak at debian-cd shows that there are discussions about
having a Desktop install with as few CDs as possible. This is the
development part.

No it's not, all releases since at least sarge have had a functional
desktop with only CD 1.

--
see shy jo

Without *any* downloads? The whole 'Desktop' task? Great! Now all we need is more emphasis on that in the introductory pages. What do you think about the suggestion from David Kirchner?

[quote]

I think it'd probably be best to have any CDs necessary for an install
be called "install-N.iso", while the rest could be "extra-N.iso".

[/quote]

Andrei

I think it would be a good idea to order the different install methods by how many iso files needed (i.e. net install first).

Another thing that might be handy is to have a web form with the major packages on it that you can tick off to get a list of iso files needed to install those packages.

Regards Neil.