Re: Debian on an AMD64 Processor

On (14/03/06 10:21), Andy wrote:
> What's the deal with Debian on AMD64 processors?
>
> I am building a new box for the first time in quite a while, and have
> become a little confused about the whole 64bit processor thing.
>
> Can I run regular Debian Sarge on an AMD64 processor, or do I have to
> run the AMD64 port?

Yes 32bit sarge will install on your box but if you want to take
advantage of 64bit processing power, you need the 64bit install:
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463

Some people are working on ensuring that OpenOffice and Firefox with
Flash work on 64bit but the amd64 howto suggests setting up a 32bit
chroot to run them in.  The instructions are pretty easy to follow and
the setup runs fine here.

Regards

Clive

--