Debian on an AMD64 Processor

Hello List,

What's the deal with Debian on AMD64 processors?

I am building a new box for the first time in quite a while, and have become a little confused about the whole 64bit processor thing.

Can I run regular Debian Sarge on an AMD64 processor, or do I have to run the AMD64 port?

Thanks, Andy

PS) Feel free to point me in the direction of a F.A.Q. if this has already been covered; I did Google but without much success.

PPS) I am using an AMD64 3700+ San Diego core on Socket 939