Re: Running debian on athlon X2?

> I'm looking at getting a new rig, and I've decided that what I *really* want
> is one of those new Athlon64 X2's (cue Homer S. gargling noise).
>
> Since I've been a happy Debian user for over 5 years now, I'd like to stick
> with what I know.  But from looking at the web site, I haven't found any
> definitive proof that Debian is compatible with such a system.
>
> Can anybody out there tell me if Debian will, in fact, run on such a system.
> And, if so, are there any special caveats or workarounds that I should be
> awaree of?

Debian will in fact run on such a system.  I've just finishing buying and
setting one up myself, and am putting the finishing touching on my new
Debian installation.

Like you I've been using Debian for years, and am happy with it.  For many
packages I was able just to copy over the relevant files from old /etc to
new /etc, and they're ready to go.

Have a look at the following URLs, then go for it!
Andrew.

http://www.us.debian.org/ports/amd64/
https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
http://amd64.debian.net/docs/installmanual/en/