Re: remounted read-only

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 08:41:10PM +0100, Eric Persson wrote:
> I have a server that repeatedly remounts its / harddisk  readonly,
> probably caused by the errors=remount-ro in fstab.

If that's the cause (and I agree that it almost certainly is), then
in means your drive is encountering errors.

> But what does the text above imply with "can analyze the errors without
> risking further damage", what can I do to prevent this totally?
> Is it a sign of starting to failing harddrives or what might be the cause?

Take a look in /var/log/syslog and keep this quote from fortune in
mind:

<Overfiend> Thunder-: when you get { MessagesLikeThisFromYourHardDrive }
<Overfiend> Thunder-: it either means { TheDriverIsScrewy }
<Overfiend> or
<Overfiend> { YourDriveIsFlakingOut BackUpYourDataBeforeIt'sTooLate
            PrayToGod }

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that