Re: Suggestion for a low memory system

I don't think of 56 MB as a low memory system - although I do think
of KDE, GNOME, netscape etc as high overhead, resource hungry pieces
of software.

I have several systems for which 64MB is the *maximum* memory expansion,
with 32MB being the standard. I have some old 68k based systems
that work just fine with 4MB

My preference for window manager for people that know what they are doing
(ie don't need windows style menu bars and icons) is fvwm. It is very
lean, and produces less on-scren clutter so is good for notebooks and
pdas. The one I a typing this on is a 166Mhz Penium with 64MB ram and
a 800x480 LCd running Sarge. It can run KDE/GNOME if I need it, but
is a bit slow starting up. Runs fine with fvwm.

For work processing I use TeX/LateX + vi, which runs very well even
on 33Mhz 486's with 32MB.  Openoffice works ok on my 64MB/166Mhz
system, but again is a bit slown starting up.

For net browsing, I havn't found anything particularly lean and
efficient. Mozilla/Netscape works acceptibly.

Regards,
DigbyT