Re: Suggestion for a low memory system

Kumar Appaiah wrote:

Dear Users,
I would like your suggestion of a Sarge install on a low memory
system. The system actually has a 750 Mhz P-III, and 56 MB RAM (+ 8 MB
VRAM, I hear). Now, I would like to install Sarge on to that machine
for internet browsing and word processing. I would like your advice on
what software and, in particular, what window manager to use so that
sluggishness can be minimized.

Thanks.

Kumar
I would probably suggest IceWM/Fluxbox or any other mimilaist WM.

The browser is probably going to be a bit more difficult, probably suggest you to try an old netscape or the latest mozilla firefox. Don't use an old mozilla.

At a pinch, elinks in graphical mode can do very well, with javascript compatibility. (You may have to find and compile the graphical version yourself). Nice and fast.

As for word processing, probably abiword.
As for program selection, try to minimize the number of libraries you have loaded - ie, standardize on gtk if possible.