Re: Sarge nits: console resized, kernel vga parameter over-ridden, and dead keys.

s. keeling wrote:

> Incoming from Justin Guerin:
>> s. keeling wrote:

[snip]
>> I believe this is due to your vga=x parameter.  More on that below.
>>
>> >   - Part way through the boot sequence, something in
>> >     /etc/init.d/console.sh (I assume) overrides my kernel command line
>> >     parameter "vga=2".  How can I disable this?
>
> I first saw this (and learned to loath it) on SuSE I think.  Shouldn't
> there be some parameter in /etc/default that tells console.sh NOT to
> fsck with my kernel command line?!?  Why do I have a framebuffered
> console?!?  I never asked for that!

I thought that putting vga=<anything> resulted in framebuffered console.  I
thought if you didn't want to use fbcon, you should leave the vga directive
out.  Am I wrong?  I honestly have no idea, and want to educate myself.

>> I'm unfamiliar with the vga=2 mode.  What is it supposed to be?  I'm
>
> With traditional, non-framebuffered, X vga=N tells the kernel to
> display 80x25, or some variation thereof, like 40 lines, & etc.  Try
> "vga=ask".
>
> Damn.  Framebuffer was a brilliant hack that made X usable on
> unsupported hardware.  Now framebuffer is invoked by default,
> whether it's needed or not?  How do I tell it to use traditional,
> non-framebuffered console?  I neither need nor want framebuffered
> ANYTHING.
>
> Thanks Justin.

If completely cutting out vga=2 from your kernel command line doesn't get
rid of the framebuffer, what about moving console.sh out of the way?  I
don't have that file, and I can't find what package does.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Justin