Re: Problems with cdrecord under kernel 2.6.15-8

On Sunday 12 March 2006 22:43, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 02:11:16PM -0500, Matthias Julius wrote:
>> OK, that's a different story.  Why are you complaining about missing
>> ide-scsi then?
>
>Because ide-scsi is missing, and now cdrecord doesn't work. If you
> know something I don't about why cdrecord stopped working due to the
> kernel change, please share. Better yet, if you know how to fix the
> problem, please share.

Repeat after me until you try it, my burner has been /dev/hdc, where it
belongs now for over a year.  dma just works with it while burning,
k3b, old version from kde-3.3.0 just works.

Make that the chorus of the song/whine you are writing.

According to a very lengthy thread containing lots of gored ox sounds on
the kernel mailing list, ide-scsi was busted in lots of subtle ways,
and it was easier to actually address the issues of making the ide
stuff work with cdroms etc than it was to fix the warts and long term
bitrot in ide-scsi.

As for cdrecord --scanbus, use the dev=/dev/hdc (or whatever it is on
the ide buss cable) option and it should find your drive just fine. If
you have a recent version of cdrecord that is, that may need an update,
one that Schilling won't do, so get it from your distribution as that
version is probably patched to just work.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: