Re: HELP

Conrad McClure wrote:

>>I installed debian, but what do I do with it, how do I use it?
>>
>>Does it have a graphical interface, or is it command line only?
>>how do you use openoffice with it?
>>
>>how do you surf the internet?
>>these are just a few questions?
>>It looks almost like unix, which is very unfriendly to me.
>>
>>I would appreciate some feed back, are did I do a network install invane?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help

Conrad

There is a step-by-step guide to installing the X-Window System with a choice of desktops at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Installing_Debian_on_a_small_partition#Installing_X_and_desktop.28s.29_after_base_system_configuration
This is the graphical user interface you ask for.

After that, login as a normal user. In a terminal (or if you are in X, in a terminal window) ($ prompt), switch user to root (# prompt) and install Synaptic. Synaptic is a graphical package manager.

	$ su
	Password: *****
	# aptitude install synaptic

	# exit
	$

Find Synaptic in your desktop's menu and use it to install the other packages you want, eg openoffice.org, firefox, etc

Hth,
Chris.