Getting OT: Re: Files piling up in /var/* directories

Gene Heskett wrote:

Starting to get into topic drift here...

On Saturday 11 March 2006 14:27, Mike McCarty wrote:

Gene Heskett wrote:

[snip]

7.5GB?  You'd better set the expiry in your email client to a
shorter period too.  I've taken to gettin rid of old messages in
some folders just to speed the agent up a bit.

That's a good idea. I have all cache turned off in my web browser.

And what are you using /dev/hda1 & 2 for, windoze?

tsk tsk...

WinXP. Since you didn't put a smiley there, I'll take that as
a pejorative comment on my judgement.

Chuckle, that did raise the hackles, didn't it? :) I probably should have put a smiley on it, but I thought the 'tsk tsk' carried a similar notation. Sorry.

Apology accepted.

[snip]

Well, I'm a laid off telecom engineer who doesn't have a job.
I've looked around for just the discs you mention, and used
40Gig goes for about $50 here. I can get a new one for just
about the same price. YMMV

I'd say. I have a friend doing some of that in a shop in the next town up the interstate from me, I'll ask him what the going rate is at his place tonight. The $20 bill was a SWAG of course.

I bet it isn't $20 USD for a 40G hard drive. :-)

What was your major (if you have a degree, I don't, 8th grade, self

Mathematics. My graduate work is in Mathematical Probability and
Statistics.

[snip]

won't buy *you* a cuppa.) and where do you want to apply yourself next? Sometimes makeing a little noise might generate a lead or 2.

Mostly anywhere that will make a buck. I've been heavily involved in
embedded (telecom, doncha know), specialty is OS (kernel, debugger,
device driver, program loader, configurator, fault isolator, that
sort of stuff). Last stuff I was doing was system level requirements
and high level design. The last real code work was leading a team
of 15 engineers to do a whole new platform. The contract (ran from
October 2004 through August 2005) was doing some work for pharmacy
software. A little database, a little system interface (timeouts
and passwords to support HIPPA), a little serial comm interface
(to talk to insurance carrier computers), a little price negotiation
software (again with insurance carrier computers).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.