Re: Files piling up in /var/* directories

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Saturday 11 March 2006 13:47, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

unimaginable today, my /var/cache alone is 1,273,796 whatevers in
du's default format.  Which is not a big deal since /var is on
/dev/hdd, a

That's way more than I would permit on my machine. I not only find
it imaginable that /var would be < 500MB, my /var is < 300MB. And
on occasion, I have cleaned out the package manager stuff (though
it tends to come back).

# df
/dev/hda5              7633264   6147620   1097896  85% /
/dev/hda3                99075     24602     69358  27% /boot

7.5GB? You'd better set the expiry in your email client to a shorter period too. I've taken to gettin rid of old messages in some folders just to speed the agent up a bit.

That's a good idea. I have all cache turned off in my web browser.

And what are you using /dev/hda1 & 2 for, windoze?

tsk tsk...

WinXP. Since you didn't put a smiley there, I'll take that as
a pejorative comment on my judgement. I don't recall asking
your permission to decide what to run on my own machine.
Since I bought this machine in order to do a contract for
some people, which involved supporting a product on SCO,
Linux, and Windows, I thought putting on the machine what
they requested was a good idea. They wanted WinXP, and
FC2, which is why I run FC2. Personally, I wouldn't have
chosen any of the Fedora Project stuff for my own use,
but that's what they wanted, so that's what I installed.
I'd probably use Debian if it were just for me.

When you're ready to pay me at the same rate
they were, I'll put on it what you want.

Not everyone can afford hundreds of Gigs of disc space.
If disc is so cheap, will you buy me a new, larger drive?

See above, hda1 and hda2 probably have more than enough space to play in. And lots of shops may have used 20's to 40's laying around, available for a $20 bill. I'm not rich by any means, I'm 71 & almost retired, on SS, but that doesn't mean I'd starve if I bought another $120 300GB drive yet today.

Well, I'm a laid off telecom engineer who doesn't have a job.
I've looked around for just the discs you mention, and used
40Gig goes for about $50 here. I can get a new one for just
about the same price. YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.