Re: Creating a journal as an afterthought

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:55:22 -0500, Andrew Cady wrote
(<[🔎] 20060310175522.GB21096@jerkface.net>):

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 08:11:45AM +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The second paragraph suggests that this should have happened
>> automatically when I updated my (very aged) Woody to Debian 3.1r1 (the
>> installed kernel image is now "kernel-image-2.6.8-1-386") and changed
>> the entry in /etc/fstab.
>>
>> This does not appear to be the case.
>
> Anyway, to verify that a filesystem is journaling, use:
>
> tune2fs -l <filesystem device>|grep 'Filesystem features'

And here is what I got:

# tune2fs -l /dev/hda6 | grep "Filesystem features"
Filesystem features:      filetype sparse_super

# tune2fs -l /dev/hda7 | grep "Filesystem features"
Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype sparse_super

For good measure, I also ran the command on /dev/hda7.  This contains
the Sarge pre-release and was installed as an .ext3 filesystem.

> You should see the string "has_journal" in that line.  If you do,
> don't worry about initrd's complaining.

It looks as though the initrd complaint is valid.  And adding the
journal (by running the command from /dev/hda7) is not a problem.  I
just wanted to check that I will not break something if I do.  The
output, that "tune2fs -l" can produce, was news to me.

Thank you for pointing it out.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen