Re: samba file deletes slow SOLVED

>> I actually solved the problem. As i said, I was running 2 uml's on
>> that system and used bridging to allow the uml's to have network
>> access. On one of those uml's i run my dns server and so it needs to
>> be up and running before the other services boot as they need dns to
>> find stuff around the lan.
>> I moved the uml bridge script and the 2 start scripts of the uml's to
>> the front of the startup sequence. The tap devices that need to be
>> created for the  uml's are started as the user uml, but at the system
>> boots, this user isn't know yet as it's only available in ldap and
>> ldap is started after the uml's.
>> This meant the uml's booted allright but the bridge script gave an
>> error and didn't make the tap devices so the dns server was
>> unreachable.
>> Some services like apache failed because of the not running dns
>> server others didn't or at least not that obvious.
>> I then created an uml user and uml group in the files /etc/passwd and
>> /etc/group via the adduser and addgroup tools so the uml user would >> be known even when ldap wasn't started yet.
>> After rebooting, the bridge script started ok and the problem went
>> away.
>>Pretty weird if you ask me but it works again.

>I rechecked and it's probably the kernel. If i boot a 2.6.13.4 i'm
>having that problem even with the working bridge script but when i boot
>a 2.6.10 i don't experience the problem.
>The 2 kernels where compiled from the same config. I will have to see
>what could be different.

After this i switched from bridging to setting up tap devices and creating an ip for the tap and then using a different ip address for the UML's. This means you need 2 ipaddresses for 1 VM.

I've since searched the kernel list and i found out that this might be an introduced bug in Netfilter when dealing with bridged networks.
"Introduced" because it wasn't present when using 2.6.10 or lower.

Yesterday i installed kernel 2.6.15.6 (from kernels.orgs) and I saw that there were several fixes with regards to bridging. So i thought the problem might actually be solved. Now i can use a bridge again to connect my VM's to to get network connectivity.
As it turns out it has nothing to do with Samba.

I thought i'd send this to the list as a reference in case people run into this problem.

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D