Re: Is udev really 'optional'?

Mike McCarty wrote:

>> Being on a laptop, I really need the functionality.  Am I going to have
>> to give up the hotplug package or will it continue to be an alternative
>> to udev?
>
> I don't understand the need for either of them. Is there some
> reason your configuration changes frequently, and you can't be
> bothered to instruct the computer to look manually?

Well, especially on a laptop, doing things like plugging in wireless cards,
external drives/USB memory sticks/mice, etc.

I'm no expert, but I have no problems with udev or hotplug.  I'd say, if
hotplug is working, stick with it.  Someday when you end up doing an
upgrade that requires udev, it will probably work fine (my guess is that it
would work fine for you now, too).