Re: Is udev really 'optional'?

Patrick Wiseman wrote:
Hello:

Having read of people having so much difficulty with it, I've been avoiding
udev and sticking with hotplug, which seems to work just fine for me.  (I
assume it  _needed_ replacing for some reason?)

Being on a laptop, I really need the functionality.  Am I going to have to
give up the hotplug package or will it continue to be an alternative to
udev?

I don't understand the need for either of them. Is there some
reason your configuration changes frequently, and you can't be
bothered to instruct the computer to look manually?

I assure you, this is a serious question, I am not sarcastic.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.