Virtual Hosts/Domains

Folks up for a discussion of a ''canonical'' implementation of virtual hosts and/or domains?
(Assuming this is a proper forum, of course)

I've been a frequent visitor to these fora (and others) as I've wrestled with supporting virtual domains for exim, squirrelmail, apache2, mailman, and so on. From my experiences i have the impression that there exists a ''debian way''' (debian space?) of addressing the problem and regularizing some of the solutions. Are folks up for hashing out some ideas?

A strawman:
Assume a package ''vdomain'' for establishing and managing the framework such as: - domain roots (e.g. VDR=/var/vdomains/domain.tld) for domain specific data - virtual domain configuration for a machine (/etc/vdomains) mapping services to virtual hosts.
 - domain specific configurations kept int $VDR/etc
- init.d and cron.d hooks for virtual domain services (mailman, ftp, etc.)
 - hooks to bring virtual hosts and/or services up and/or down,

Assume related services/packages, such as
- vdomain-chroot - establishing chroot jails for real-user domainmasters/webmasters/postmasters; according to the services of the domain. - vdomain-apache2 - utilities for hooking virtual hosts into both bind/DNS and /etc/apache, along with template host.conf files. - vdomain-exim - providing routers; transports; alias mgmt and/or aliases and/or mail storage for virtual users within the ''vdomain'' structures
 - vdomain-imap; vdomain-squirrelmail   ditto

  maybe even:
- vdomain-net - additional utilities for virtual domain with >1 IP address (www.vdom.tld != smtp.vdom.tld != ns.vdom.tld)
- vdomain-webmin?

FWIW, a ready-to-wear ''virtual-webmail'' package could be assembled from the set {vdomain, vdomain-apache2, vdomain-exim4, and vdomain- squirrelmail}

Does such a framework sound promising or wacko?
Other comments/suggestions?