Re: K3B error "no video transcoding!"

John Anderson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have an amd64 computer running Debian testing x86
> and having problems being able to copy dvds.  The dvds
> I wish to copy are homemade recorded off air from my
> Lite-ON DVD recorder.
>
> I had Ubuntu Breezy amd64 on this same computer with
> the same exact error that I am currently seeing.  When
> I go to the "copy DVD option" in K3b it has a caption
> beside it saying "no video transcoding!"  :-(
>
> In one of my earlier installs of ubuntu breeezy, K3b
> did work for DVD copying.
>
> Can anyone give me suggestions on how to get the
> ability to copy dvds?  I do have programs such as
> transcode and subtitleripper installed.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> John

Hello John,

What did you do in k3b to get the error "no video transcoding". To copy
a DVD all you need is to copy the directory structure off it and no
trancoding is needed.

Here is what I usually do using growisofs (you will need to install
dvd+rw-tools to use growisofs):

To copy a dvd:

~$ dd if=/dev/dvd of=imagename.iso

To write it to a dvd+/-r

~$ growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=imagename.iso

You can also read the page I wrote for my own reference:
http://ghaint.no-ip.org/~k2/debian/dvdburn.html

HTH,
/kds