Re: Multiple PC's for one user?

Scott Fitzgerald said:
> If I yank exim off my desktop box, and run something detached, how can I
> set it up so any error report will try to go over another box on the
> 192.168.0.* network?

    nullmailer

> Also on email, would it make sense to
> ssh-or-telnet-or-remote-X onto the heavy box for the email work?  Or would
> it be better to download it and do email on the light box?

    Or, option #3, IMAP.

> I also wonder about telnet, I know that telnet sends passwords "in the open"
> so it is bad to use it online, but is it still considered safe for a
> home-based network?

    I don't see a reason to use telnet anymore, even for LAN.  The
difference between telnet vs. ssh in terms of perceived processing power
is miniscule.  To be honest the only reason I keep telnet around is to
"talk" directly to the POP/SMTP/IMAP daemons when my dad calls up
telling me his email client can't connect.  Other than specialized use
telnet would be yanked off my boxes in a heartbeat.

> Also, I am a dial up user only considering DSL.  If I went DSL, I would buy
> a firewall plus switch, but if I stay with dial-up, I might consider a
> seperate k6 or P-one box running ip-masq as a firewall.

    Or just do that with DSL.

    Here's my setup, just to give you some ideas.

Box #1: "The server" - A P3-667 w/700 smething megs of RAM.  It runs all my
services.  It's my NAT firewall, Apache, FTP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, SAMBA, Squid
and a few others box.  Generally speaking any process that I want to start
up and leave running 24/7 runs on that box.  I have DSL but prefer the
firewall on that box as the DSL "modem" (A dlink router, in fact) I got from
Verizon came with no documentation.  I'm not about to drop $100+ on an
off-the-shelf router that Verizon won't support on their network when I can
just leave their router as a bridge and get the firewall for free on the
server box.

Box #2: "The laptop" - Runs X, TBird, Firefox, TightVNCViewer into the
server above for X processes I leave up 24/7.  This is my take anywhere and
my work goes with me box.  TBird is configured to use IMAP so mail is stored
on the server.  That lets me do nifty stuff like what I am doing right now,
write mail from Squirrelmail when away from my laptop.  Pretty much any
interactive/production work is done on this box.  for the record, Exim's
been ripped out and nullmailer dropped into its place with no problems.

Box #3: "The game machine" - Win2k and spends 90% of its time in World of
Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Source, World War II Online, Everquest 2 or about
a dozen other single-player games.  Console, schmonsole, got my games right
here.  It also has Linux on it for when I feel like trying to get
Transgaming working in a vain hope of doing the above without Win2k.

    So my division is:
Server - 24/7 non-interactive software.
Laptop - interactive productivity software.
Game - My play box.

--
Steve Lamb