Re: sound card problem on asus a6b

gnustikos wrote:
Hi
I have a problem with sound card on Debian Sarge. I've built 2.6.14.4
kernel for many times, choosing different options in Sound section. I
use ALSA drivers of course. When I chose all cards in section PCi
devices (all sound cards in this subsection of section ALSA as a
modules) the kernel (during the boot) was running only ATI IXP so I left
only this driver in section PCI devices and built it in the kernel
(besides it doesn't matter because I've tried to built it as a module
and it wasn't a solution). The problem is that everything looks fine but
there is no sound :) I am pretty sure that the card is not mute because
I have been doing everything exactly like on other computers (on which
it worked). On this laptop I run XMMS, set output sound driver on ALSA,
play some music and there are no errors, I can see that XMMS is working
correctly but there is no sound.

Make sure you have the packages "alsa-base" and "alsa-utils" installed.
Use the command "alsamixer" to make sure that the "Master", "Master M"
and "PCM" channels are turned up and not muted. Try if "alsaconf" (as
root) can find and configure your sound card. Finally, to make sure it
is not a problem with XMMS, you can use the simple command line tool
"speaker-test" to produce some audio output.

Regards,
            Florian