Re: "alsaconf" successful. No sound!

--- Scott <angrykeyboarder@angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:

> Francesco Bochicchio spake thusly on 03/07/2006
> 02:54 PM:
> > Il Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:50:14 +0100, Felix Karpfen
> ha scritto:
> >
> >> I ran "alsaconf" on my recently-updated Debian
> 3.1r1.
> >>
> >> It worked like a charm and ended with the
> following messages:
> >>
> >> Running update-modules...
> >> Setting default volumes...

> >>  Now ALSA is ready to use.
> >>  For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite
> mixer.
> >>
> >>  Have a lot of fun!
> >>
> >> However when checking the output of a .wav file
> by running the "play"
> >> command from a console, I get a deafening
> silence. "alsamixer" says the
> >> the "playback master" is set at 74.
> >>
> >> What have I missed?  Prior to the update (when
> using the Sarge
> >> pre-release) sound worked OK.
> >
> > What about the  PCM channel? By default with ALSA
> it is muted
> > and with 0 volume. You need to unmute and raise
> its volume
> > using alsamixer.
> >

> I've always wondered what genius thought that
> default setting was a good
> idea......
>
> --
> Scott
> www.angrykeyboarder.com
> © 2006 angrykeyboarder� & Elmer Fudd. All Wights
> Wesewved

Original Poster -- did un-muting the PCM channel and
setting its volume solve your problem? If not, try
unmuting and setting volume for the Headphone channel.
The deal here is that on some sound cards, the master
and headphone channels are swapped. So when the mixer
thinks it's setting master volume it's actually
affecting the headphone socket and when it thinks it's
setting the headphone volume it's actually affecting
master volume. I'm not sure if the problem is hardware
or the driver, I think hardware. There are only a
handful of cards that have this problem but if you
still get a deafening silence then try un-muting and
setting volume for Headphones.

Either way, you still need to un-mute and set volume
for PCM.

Mark