Re: where is the GRUB menu file?

pair odocs <pairodocs@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I am a new user who just installed debian 3.1r1 with the 2.6 kernel with GRUB in the mbr.
>
>   Much went well for a 'desktop'  install...later we could talk printer and video codecs.
>
>   One issue: I can't find  the GRUB menu list file in this installation.  Where is it?  It would be much easier to make some multiple disk multiboot changes if I could directly edit it rather than do it indirectly through GRUB.

It should be in /boot/grub

>   Second: I am happily looking forward to trying various software.  Installing from a tar archive is fine when no deb or rpm is available.  But how does one uninstall all the various pieces? Is there now a tool?  Is there a log that at least lists them?

Some times you get lucky and there's an unistall target (if make is
involved) , have a look at the Makefile before installing.

Some people have had success with checkinstall

,----[ apt-cache show checkinstall ]
|  CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or modified by your
|  installation script ("make install" "make install_modules", "setup",
|  etc), builds a standard binary package and installs it in your system
|  giving you the ability to uninstall it with your distribution's
|  standard package management utilities.
`----

But I haven't used it enough to comment on how well it works, If there
is no Debian package I generally wait until there is one ore don't
install it :-)

--
-----Angelina Carlton----- orchid on irc.freenode.net brat@magma.ca
web:bzgirl.bakadigital.com