where is the GRUB menu file?

I am a new user who just installed debian 3.1r1 with the 2.6 kernel with GRUB in the mbr.

Much went well for a 'desktop'  install...later we could talk printer and video codecs.

One issue: I can't find  the GRUB menu list file in this installation.  Where is it?  It would be much easier to make some multiple disk multiboot changes if I could directly edit it rather than do it indirectly through GRUB.

Second: I am happily looking forward to trying various software.  Installing from a tar archive is fine when no deb or rpm is available.  But how does one uninstall all the various pieces? Is there now a tool?  Is there a log that at least lists them?

Thanks for help. I've read great things about Debian and am keen to sort things out.