Re: gpg keys on multiple machines

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:49:44 +0000
Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> wrote:

Does anyone know if there's a preferred method for setting up the same gpg profile (keys) on multiple machines?

I'm surprised I haven't been able to find much on the web about this. Surely there must be thousands of us sending/receiving email both at home and at work, and probably for some folks umpteen other places as well.

 man gpg mentions --export-secret-keys [name]
you could probably just
gpg -o [file] --export-secret-keys [name] on one machine and then

gpg --import [file] on the other machine...

I haven't tried it...

Beware of setting default users though, especially with an MUA that keeps the passphrase in memory for a while.

Which is why it is better to use gpg-agent and make your MUA talk to it instead of asking for your passphrase directly. Personally, I like using keychain in conjunction with ssh-agent and gpg-agent.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto