Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

Hi Tore, just as a final clarification to this problem.

The reason that debconf (and then dpkg) failed was that root (the user
that you use when running apt-get and dpkg) is not allowed to connect
to the X server by default if it is run by another user. I know this
sounds strange since root is the ultimate power on linux but this is
done for security reasons (a lot of strange this are done for security
reasons on linux, but then again, this is why it is more secure then
other OS's :-) ). So if you want to use the KDE, or any other
graphical, frontend to debconf then you need to allow root to connect
to the X server. How to do that you can read on the net, from a little
searching I found the following discussion helpfull:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Security/root-with-x11.html

Glad that it is working now, and good luck in the future with your
hacking :-)

Oli

Þann 2006-03-07, 23:02:53 (+0100) skrifaði Tore Ericsson: