Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

*** xserver-xorg reconfigured and all other things work again ***

Using "dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=dialog debconf" and resetting debconf
to use the "dialog" default instead of "KDE" (which needs that dpkg has
permission to use the X server, which it didn't have for some reason)
solved all problems.

Then I ran "dpkg --configure xserver-xorg_6.9.0..." which worked
all right! Subsequently I switched to KDE/Synaptic and executed all
pending upgrades (and a few more).

Thanks to everybody for the help and especially to Kent West
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/03/msg00673.html) and Olafur Jans
Sigurdsson (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/03/msg00677.html) who
presented the simple but significant suggestion to reconfigure debconf to
avoid a silly lack-of-permission! In this way one learns, and this shows the
importance not to grab the netinstall CD too early!

Thanks to all,

Tore

P.S. I am sorry not being able to read this list daily any longer due to
lack of time and mail server resources. But don't hesitate to use my mail
address at any time!