Re: Generate thumbnails

On 3/6/06, Craig M. Houck <chouck@binghamton.edu> wrote:
> What is any easy to use program to generate thumbnails from a 'full sized'
> image?

convert or mogrify is probably the easiest.

> I have tried many programs found using apt-cache search BUT either I am to
> stoopid to figure them out or they really don't do what I want.
>
> Fore xample:
> convert image.JPG -resize 10% images.jpg complains.

It complains for two reasons:
1) The options are supposed to come before the input file (though it
might be smart enough to figure this out; and
2) Your -resize option is under-specified.

Try

convert -resize 10x10% image.JPG images.jpg

or

cp image.JPG images.jpg
mogrify -scale 10x10% images.jpg

I have a perl script that generates web pages for digital photos that
includes the snippet:
foreach $a (@files)
{
    `cp $a small/`;
    `mogrify -scale 30x30% small/$a`;
    `cp $a thumbnail/`;
    `mogrify -scale 4x4% thumbnail/$a`;
}

That's for 5Mpx images, which is why the thumbnail size is only 4%.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh