Re: Gnome desktop environment removed on Upgrading using synaptic

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 03:38:19PM +0530, Abhishek Verma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have Debina Unstable running on my system. I tried to upgrade the
> system using synaptic from an official debian mirror. When I looked at
> the list of packages to be removed/installed/upgraded, I found that
> gnome-desktop-environment was to be removed. I thought the new version
> might have a replacement for this, so I went ahead with the updates.
>
> But, now my system has no desktop environment, and when I try to install
> gnome-desktop-environment, it says that it can't install since
> gnomemeeting is uninstallable. When I tried to install gnomemeeting, it
> says that it can't install because it depends on libopenh323-1.18.0
> which is uninstallable. When I tried to look for the package libopen323
> version 1.18.0, it is nowhere to be found. The current version available
> for this package is 1.15.6.
>
> Can anybody give me some idea how should I go about installing
> gnome-desktop-environment. Also, why are there dependcies of packages
> that have not yet been put into the repository.
Hi Abhishek,
from time to time, all the required packages for (in this case) gnome
are not avaiable when you last did a 'apt-get update'. This should be
remidieded in the near future, this is just expected behavior for the
unstable branch of Debian. So, wait a few days and 'apt-get update' and
try again. For more immediate and up-to-date info, try installing
irrsi-text or some other irc client and chat in #debian.
Cheers,
Kev