Re: Messages from my firewall

Florian Kulzer on 03/03/06 09:15, wrote:
Clyde Wilson wrote:

I have Debian Sarge 3.1 r1 with Firestarter as my
firewall and I am on DSL.  The firewall works great
but I am receiving messages every minute or two with
the following format:

Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=00:0f:b5:46:4f:5a:00:0b:23:ca:68:ec:08:00
[...]

These messages appear on my virtual terminals, whether
I am logged on or not.  Any way to get rid of them.

This behavior can be controlled via the "printk" parameter of the
kernel. Try the command (as root)

echo "4 4 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

If you like this setting you can make it permanent over reboots by
uncommenting the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:

kernel/printk = 4 4 1 7

More information about kernel parameters can be found in the file
Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt which is part of the kernel sources and
the kernel documentation packages (e.g linux-doc-2.6.15). I have
appended the part pertaining to printk below.

Adjusting the levels of logging to your console though will affect all programs, so bear in mind if you raise the filtering level to cut out more logging, it will cut out logging from all applications.

Even though I don't know how you would adjust Firestarter, it should have config options to control its logging for itself.

Just looking into firewalls myself, that's why I chipped in.

Adam