Re: Messages from my firewall

Clyde Wilson wrote:
I have Debian Sarge 3.1 r1 with Firestarter as my
firewall and I am on DSL.  The firewall works great
but I am receiving messages every minute or two with
the following format:

Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
MAC=00:0f:b5:46:4f:5a:00:0b:23:ca:68:ec:08:00
SRC=4.79.142.206 DST=71.129.207.113 LEN=28 TOS=0x00
PREC=0x00 TTL=113 ID=32768 PROTO=ICMP TYPE=8 CODE=0
ID=0 SEQ=0

[...]

These messages appear on my virtual terminals, whether
I am logged on or not.  Any way to get rid of them.

This behavior can be controlled via the "printk" parameter of the
kernel. Try the command (as root)

echo "4 4 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

If you like this setting you can make it permanent over reboots by
uncommenting the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf:

kernel/printk = 4 4 1 7

More information about kernel parameters can be found in the file
Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt which is part of the kernel sources and
the kernel documentation packages (e.g linux-doc-2.6.15). I have
appended the part pertaining to printk below.

Regards,
            Florian

==== excerpt from Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt follows ====

printk:

The four values in printk denote: console_loglevel,
default_message_loglevel, minimum_console_loglevel and
default_console_loglevel respectively.

These values influence printk() behavior when printing or
logging error messages. See 'man 2 syslog' for more info on
the different loglevels.

- console_loglevel: messages with a higher priority than
  this will be printed to the console
- default_message_level: messages without an explicit priority
  will be printed with this priority
- minimum_console_loglevel: minimum (highest) value to which
  console_loglevel can be set
- default_console_loglevel: default value for console_loglevel

printk_ratelimit:

Some warning messages are rate limited. printk_ratelimit specifies
the minimum length of time between these messages (in jiffies), by
default we allow one every 5 seconds.

A value of 0 will disable rate limiting.

printk_ratelimit_burst:

While long term we enforce one message per printk_ratelimit
seconds, we do allow a burst of messages to pass through.
printk_ratelimit_burst specifies the number of messages we can
send before ratelimiting kicks in.