I'm looking for a better XShell

Gnome-terminal has a feature that I really like. It underlines
text that has the syntax of a URL. If you point to the text
with your cursor and cntrl-click, it starts your browser in
another window and sends it to look at the URL. But there
is a problem: I can't get the rest of gnome desktop to work, and
if I try to run gnome-terminal under KDE, I can't configure
fonts for the gnome-terminal window. To configure fonts for
gnome-terminal I think I should use gnome-control-center,
but it seems to fight with KDE control center. Sometimes it
works, but not very often.

Is there a HOWTO for this cross-platform configuration?

Is there another Xterminal that works without gnome and
does work with KDE?

Other suggestion?

TIA
--