Re: NEW USER set-up assistance

>My problems are,
>
>1. The video display will only let me use up to 800x600 size whereas the
>same monitor under WinXP would work at 1024x768. So how would I go about
>correctly setting this in the base config?

You need to get the Horizontial scan rate and Vertical refresh rate for
your monitor.
Once you have that information ...
cd /etc/X11
vi XF86Config-4
	look for the line 'HorizSync' and VertRefresh
       in the  'Section "Monitor"'
       Something like this is what you will find ...
        HorizSync       28-50
        VertRefresh     43-75
Make sure the ones in your XF86Config-4 file match the numbers for your
monitor.

Then just down a few lines look for 'Section "Screen"'
In section you will find several lines, in your case, starting with
'"800x600"'
add "1024x768" so it looks like this ...

                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Reboot or restart X.

NOW if that doesn't work go back into the XF86Config-4 file and
find the 'Section "Screen"' again.
Now change the line 'DefaultDepth    24' from 24 to 16 so it looks like
DefaultDepth    16

Again reboot or restart X.
If that doesn't give you 1024x768 your problem is great than something "I" can
do long distance

>2. SOUNDCARD - When I activate sounds in Gnome desktop all I get is a
>pulsating growl. Sometimes I get no sound at all except a faint beep. I use
>the soundcard heavily as a ham radio operator to decode and transmit RTTY
>signals

I have put Debian on two Dell laptop models(seveal of them), 2 or 3 Think
Pad modles and serveral different brand, make and hand build desktop
computers.

There appears to be a small set of sound drivers that will work in general.
You didn't mention (Or I didn't see ) what machine and sound card you are
using.

To see what if anything is on your machine do this as root in a terminal
window

dpkg -l |grep sound

and then run this command

discover -d |grep sound
That should report your sound card.
Do some searches on the sound card and 'driver' and you sound find what you
need to apt-get.
If you can't find much try Try esound and/or ALSA drivers/

BTW   ' discover -d | more ' will report most of the h/w pieces on you box.

HOPE THIS HELPS

><>
CMH

RbtBotL