NEW USER set-up assistance

I need some help in setting up my newly installed debian system. It is a net install system with all of the latest packages running Gnome desktop.

My problems are,

1. The video display will only let me use up to 800x600 size whereas the same monitor under WinXP would work at 1024x768. So how would I go about correctly setting this in the base config?

2. SOUNDCARD - When I activate sounds in Gnome desktop all I get is a pulsating growl. Sometimes I get no sound at all except a faint beep. I use the soundcard heavily as a ham radio operator to decode and transmit RTTY signals.

Any help would be really great as I am a complete idiot to linux even after reading some books on it this is my first attempt at using it exclusively.

Jacob Tennant - K8JWT