Re: making a (s)vcd

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 06:15:57PM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I have a 700M avi file that I'd like to put on a (s)vcd. When I run
>
> ffmpeg -i file.avi -target svcd out.mpg
>
> the resulting file is over twice as big and thus
>
> vcdimager -t svcd out.mpg
>
> complains about the size.
>
> Is it possible to make a (s)vcd from a 700M avi file?

`AVI' is a container format, rather than a multimedia format: the
contents could be encoded using a variety of methods, including 480x576
MPEG-2. In this case, the answer would be yes.

However it is most likely that your AVI is using an encoding method
which is better at compression than MPEG-2 and then the answer would
most likely be no -- you will need to split it into multiple SVCDs
(details in a different person's reply).

You can find out some information about the contents of an AVI using the
`file' tool, e.g.:

$ file lego_lemmings.avi
lego_lemmings.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 360 x 288, 25.00 fps,
video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 44100 Hz)

$ file cimg1549.avi
cimg1549.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x 240, video: Motion
JPEG, audio: uncompressed PCM (mono, 8000 Hz)

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/